Thursday, July 19, 2012

The night bus

In my quest to discover Eastern Europe while staying in countries covered by my health care insurance, I set off to Poland Monday night. I always seem to book night buses (or trains! or planes!) when they're available, reasoning that I'll save money on accommodation and I'll probably be able to sleep just fine. RIGHT. Anyway, this particular night bus was full of Polish grandmas, their hand-embroidered throw pillows, and their sandwiches wrapped in aluminum foil. Cute!

The entertainment for the evening was an English movie "dubbed" into Polish. I say "dubbed" because all the voices were done by one person, a man, who apparently felt no need to match his voice to the lips onscreen or to sound angry when the characters were clearly angry.  It's surprisingly disconcerting to hear the same voice coming from the mouths of Adam Sandler, Salma Hayek, Chris Rock, and the guy who played Deuce Bigalow (male gigolo). Oh and they didn't bother to edit out the English voices, so the whole experience was most reminiscent of a foreign documentary or simultaneous translation at the UN. Compare this to Germany, where even the crappiest of movies are dubbed with the care and accuracy befitting a cinematic masterpiece and where the voice actors for the big Hollywood stars become rich and famous in their own right.*  But the lady next to me was loving it; she lol-ed all the way to the Polish border.

Anyway, 12 hours, three sandwiches, and one epic neck cramp later, I'm in Poland! It seems nice!

*This seems like an appropriate moment to mention that a former roommate of mine is now living with the German voice actor for George Clooney. Clearly she's moving up in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment