Monday, August 13, 2012

Good night (and goodbye) Berlin


I like the Brandenburg Gate (like most landmarks) better after dark. Things lit up at night always make me feel like Christmas and it's easier to get pictures without people popping up in front of your camera like crasher squirrel.


This is, hands down, my favourite memorial in Berlin. It's on (or under, I guess) Bebelplatz, where in 1933 the Nazis burned over 20,000 books deemed "un-German". You look through this window into a room lined with empty bookshelves and, nearby, there's a plaque with the Heinrich Heine quote "Where they burn books, they will end by burning people". I must have taken pictures of this group for at least five minutes and there are several pictures where one of the group members is giving me the evil eye. But I was there first and anyway, I think the picture's better with people in it!


This is 1/3 of the Gendarmenmarkt, the "prettiest square in Berlin". The square is framed by an opera house and two former cathedrals (now museums) - the French Cathedral and the German Cathedral. The French Cathedral was built first and the German one (above) was built to "match". It was supposed to be the twin (in size and almost in design) of the French building, but then they made it one metre taller. The anti-French shenanigans never stop in Berlin!


And this is the Berlin Cathedral again, with the apparently indefatigable Fernsehturm still playing peekaboo. It's 11 pm, Fernsehturm! Go to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment