Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Euro euro bill y'all

You know how sometimes in Canada the bank machine gives you a 50-dollar bill and you know it's going to be a nightmare to get rid of? But you try to pay with it anyway, because of how it's legal tender, and then the cashier looks at you like you've just escaped from an insane asylum? You know?

Well, today the woman in front of me at the drugstore paid for lip chap and shampoo with a 500-Euro bill. The cashier held it up to the light, shrugged, and gave her 496 Euros of change. I should mention that it's ridiculously easy to get rid of 50-Euro bills (and even 100-Euro bills) in Germany. I always cringe inwardly when I have to pay with one, but nobody's ever objected.

But 500 Euros is over 650 dollars. It's more than I earn in two weeks. I could buy my own weight in Ritter Sport with that bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment