Thursday, April 12, 2012

Apartment tour, part 2

The kitchen! The heart of the home and all that! I happen to really like the kitchen in my WG. We have an old but mostly reliable gas stove and a tea collection worth about 60 Euros. Impressed?


Our kitchen also has an astonishingly large fridge for a German kitchen... many WGs have what I would consider bar fridges whose freezers aren't even big enough for an ice cream carton. It's a travesty, I tell you. But most Germans go grocery shopping a few times a week, so there's less of a tendency to stockpile. And most grocery stores only sell 1L milk cartons and 1kg bags of flour/sugar, so everything's scaled down a bit. The only exception is potatoes, which are sold in "Thanksgiving for the entire neighbourhood"-sized bags. Germans eat a lot of potatoes and that is not a stereotype.


What I said last time about WGs being an accumulation of everyone's junk is especially true in the kitchen, so when my roommates sublet their rooms a few months back, I decided to throw out everything in the fridge that didn't belong to me. Of particular concern were some eggs which I was pretty sure had been there since the day I had moved in, over a year before.

Fact: you can check if your eggs are rotten by putting them in a glass of water. If they sink, they're fine. Make yourself an omelette! If they float, throw them out.

Back to the story: when I tried this with the aforementioned suspicious eggs, not only did they float very high in the water (only about a cm of egg submerged), but when I pushed them down, they rocketed back out like ICBMs launching from a submarine base.

On the plus side, I found and inherited a whole bottle of beer! I also poured out so many half-empty bottles of wine that I felt like I was staging an intervention.

No comments:

Post a Comment