Monday, August 13, 2012

Punpoint Charlie

I visited Checkpoint Charlie the first time I was in Berlin, and I wouldn't have gone back this time except that it was really close to my hostel. Even though some world-changing things happened there, there's really nothing to do there unless you want to pay 20 Euros to visit the "Wall Museum" or 10 Euros for a fake-Russian, fake-fur hat or 5 Euros to get your picture taken with an actor dressed as an East German border guard. No? Me neither. But Checkpoint Charlie is also, apparently, Pun Central. I mean, check out this currywurst stand. Checkpoint Curry!


Unfortunately my favourite, Snackpoint Charlie (a much better pun, as I'm sure we can all agree), seems to have gone out of business since the last time I was in Berlin. It's been replaced by Kalter Krieg (Cold War), which is an ice cream shop, obviously. I mean, what else were they supposed to call it?


But back to currywurst. Currywurst is a Berlin invention and culinary specialty. It's a sausage (Wurst), cut up and doused in curry-flavoured ketchup. That's it. That's all. I opted to try my first Berlin currywurst at this stand, which despite coming in last in the pun competition, dominated the field in the letting-me-try-the-potato-salad-before-committing-to-buying-it event.

 

And in case you were wondering, both the potato salad and the currywurst gave a strong performance in the "being delicious" category.

No comments:

Post a Comment