Friday, August 10, 2012

Danzig shipyards

Since I was at the shipyard gate already (and since I have an as-yet-unexplained fondness for shipyards), I decided to venture a little further.

 

The Danzig shipyards have fallen on hard times (almost 90% job loss), with the result that there are a lot of old, abandoned buildings. A couple of them have been turned into kind-of-neat-but-definitely-weird art galleries.


Foreground: shredded-magazine bales which can be compressed into shredded-magazine bricks. Background: Stalinist machine to produce the perfect worker, reproduced from contemporary sources (with some creative gap-filling, I'd guess).


This is a moveable chapel designed for people who want to marry buildings (have y'all seen that documentary about the woman who married the Eiffel Tower?) - it can be pushed up against the corner of the building and provides a "quiet, contemplative" atmosphere for the ceremony. 


Other buildings have just been boarded up and surrounded by meaningless signs like the one below. I mean, it might say "private property", but it's not like I can read Polish. Pretty ambiguous, I'd say.


Anyway, check out what you get to see if you ignore the signs!


 Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment